Every year hundreds of thousands of Irish people travel to France for a holiday, many of whom are repeat visitors. So, what is our fascination with France?
1. Weather- the sunshine in France puts a smile on our faces!
2. Easy to get to-Getting to France and back from Ireland couldn't be easier. Both Aer Lingus and Ryanair provide a host of low-cost and regular air routes. Flight time is short (approx. 2 hrs) making the journey quick and easy. For a longer, but perhaps more enjoyable journey and the added bonus of taking your car, you can travel to France via overnight Ferry. This is a great option for young families. Irish Ferries & Brittany Ferries among others provide reasonably priced regular sailings.
3. Family friendly-France is a great destination for families. There are heaps of family focused holiday villages, caravan parks & camps that provide wonderful pool and water slide areas and a wide array of activities for all ages. Some of my favourite childhood memories of France are of fun days spent trying out different sports, arts and novelties with new found friends in summer camps in Pierre & Vacances Port Bourgenay apartment village, various keycamp resorts and of course Euro Disney!
4. History & Sightseeing-Fabulous old towns and stunning architectural attractions to visit and wow over!
5. Art & Culture- Sophisticated high art, chique cafe culture and overall French elegance!
6. Wine & Cheese-beautiful rich wines and delicious cheese! Yummy!
7. Boulangerie- who can resist a trip to a French bakery. Yummy baguettes, patisseries, croissaint, pain au chocolait and my absolute favourites- macaroons-are a feast to eyes as much as they are to the tummy!
8. Shopping-Couture, designer, vintage and dainty, shopping in france is a real treat!
9. Diversity-Mountains, lakes, beaches, big cities, vineyards..... France is like a mini Europe with something to suit everyone;s tastes!
10. Outdoor orientated - France is an excellent adventure and outdoor pursuits destinations. Mountain climbing, hiking, cycling, skiing, surfing and much more all draw us Irish to France every year.
So there you have it, that is why We Love France!